Direct Access Physical Therapy
At Orthocare Physical Therapy Center, we offer Direct Access Physical Therapy!
See below for some common questions about Direct Access
What is Direct Access?
Direct Access means that you can directly seek physical therapy without being referred by a doctor or other healthcare practitioner. According to the Virginia direct access law, you may be evaluated and treated for a musculoskeletal injury by a licensed physical therapist without needing a prescription from your primary doctor .
If you are experiencing a concern that you feel may benefit from the skilled services of a physical therapist, you may be able to refer yourself to physical therapy for treatment. This is also called self-referral. Direct access is not only a cost-effective but allows you to start treatment right away without wasting valuable time.
What are the exact benefits of Direct Access to me?
Direct Access makes it possible for you to get your treatment faster, saving time and money.
What do I need to know about Direct Access?
When seeking Physical Therapy through direct access, there are some points to consider:
- In order for a patient to undergo an initial evaluation via Direct Access, the patient must not have been evaluated for the same injury within the last two months.
- At the time of the initial evaluation, the patient must identify a licensed healthcare provider that they may see if their condition does not improve within the 30-day time frame.
- After an initial evaluation, the patient can receive Physical Therapy for one month, through Direct Access. After that 30-day period, a valid prescription from a physician is required to continue Physical Therapy.
- The Physical Therapist must contact the patient’s healthcare provider at the end of the 30-day period to request authorization of any further physical therapy treatment.
- At any point, if our clinicians believe that Physical Therapy is not appropriate for your condition, we will refer you to another practitioner or doctor.
How do I schedule my Direct Access visit?
Contact Us and we will work with you to figure out all the scheduling details.